The Akwa Ibom state Chapter of Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN) held its February, 2022 Congress whereat the welfare of members and the state of sports in the state since the commencement of the current domestic football league season was discussed. At the end of deliberations, Congress resolved as follows;
1. SWAN congratulated one of its members, a veteran journalist and Chairman of Akwa United FC, who is also the Special Assistant to Governor Udom Emmanuel on Sports, Elder Paul Bassey on his award as the Sports Administrator of the Year by an Abuja-based Newspaper, Asset Newspapers Limited.
2. Congress also congratulated Mr. Uwem Ekoh, who is a former state Chairman of SWAN on his recent success at the polls as Chairman and Mr. Unyime Etim, as Vice Chairman, of the Consolidated Chapel of Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Akwa Ibom state council.
Congress wishes the three of them more successes and God’s wisdom in their endeavours.
3. SWAN frowned at the state of sports in the state, in spite the huge financial investments in the sector. SWAN hopes that the resignation of Coach Kennedy Boboye would mark the tipping point in the fortunes of Akwa United and enjoins their supporters to remain calm and allow the team more time to rediscover their best form in the on-going Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL).
4. SWAN urged all concerned stakeholders to rally around and support the players and officials of Dakkada especially by way of improved welfare and increased funding for optimal performance.
5. Congress examined the performance of the state-owned female team, Ibom Angels Football Club and expressed disappointment at the recent relegation of the team to the second tier of women’s football in the country. SWAN therefore urges the players, coaches, management staff and everyone associated with the club to work harder in order to return the team to the Nigeria Women Premier League (NWPL) as soon as possible.
Mr. Patrick Titus
Chairman, Communique Drafting Committee
Mr. Inemesit Akpan-nsoh
Member, Communique Drafting Committee
Mr. Isaiah Eka
Secretary, Communique Drafting Committee
Mr. Emmanuel Akpan
SWAN State Chairman
Mr. Theophilus Udo
SWAN State Secretary